Gunshots and Stab Wound
Gunshots and stab wound do seldom occur, these may occur as a result of deliberate criminal activity or as a result of an accidental discharge from a firearm.
Gunshots and stab wound are severe physical injuries to the body as a result of the use of a projectile (i.e. bullets) from a firearm, or the use of knife, axe, sword, dagger dangerous weapons to inflict injuries and damage to the vital organs of the body.
Recommended for you:
The physical damage to the body may include:
- Gunshots and stab wound may lead to severe loss of blood due to uncontrolled bleeding
- Broken bones
- Vital organ damage (i.e. heart, lungs, kidney, liver, intestines, etc.)
- Infection of the wound
- Incapacitated, inability to move part or all of the body.
Factors that may lead to gunshot and stab wound includes the following:
- Incursion by thieves and intruders.
- Criminal activities within and around the neighborhood.
- Riots and the use of force by the security operatives.
- Periods of unrest, communal clashes, and wars.
- Illegal drug trade may lead to gunshot and stab wound i.e due to rival gangs fighting each other.
- Illegal use of unlicensed firearms.
- Substance misuse including drugs and alcohol.
- Failed suicide attempts.
- Poor mental health may lead to gunshot and stab wound
- Youth idleness and restiveness.
- The inability of the government to properly regulate firearm laws.
Recommended for you;
In case of a gunshot and stab wound, what do you do?
- This is a difficult situation, try to be calm, and be in charge of your emotions.
- Keep the patient quietly lying on his back to avoid further injuries and pain.
- Give him nothing by mouth.
- Cover the wound with a sterile dressing, and bandage it firmly in place.
- Contact the medics right away.
- Transfer him/her to a hospital as quickly as possible.
- Always keep him/her in a lying-down position with a pillow under the knees.
- When an abdominal organ is injured and is visible or protruding through the wound, cover the area with a sterile dressing and keep it moist.
- By using warm water.
- Carry the patient to a hospital in a lying-down position.
- Your goal is to stop further damage and to control bleeding as much as possible until you get to the hospital.
- Cover the hole immediately with your hand and apply a suitable airtight dressing, if the gunshots and stab wound occur on the chest.
- If the wound is large, place your hands on both sides of the laceration and gently push the tissues together.
- Get the victim to a hospital as soon as possible any delay may be dangerous.
- You can give artificial respiration using the mouth-to-mouth technique if necessary.
Recommended for you:
Prevention of Gunshots and Stab Wound
- The use of your instincts and common sense is pivotal in the prevention of gunshots and stab wound by avoiding troubled spots.
- Where you choose to live has a huge influence on your safety and security.
- Security personnel should always wear bullets prove vest.
- Government should enforce stricter laws on the use of firearms, and the issuance of licensed guns to its citizenry. Though this may not have a serious impact, is a good step in the right direction.
- Reduce firearm access to youth and individuals who are at risk of harming themselves or others.
- In order to avoid gunshots and stab wound, training and retraining should be made mandatory for citizens with licensed guns.
- Licensed gun owners should be thought how to store their guns in a secure and safe place. Away from young people and other criminally minded family members.
- Government should invest in job creation and engage the youth in community development programs.
- Both the government and the citizens should be involved in the economic development of the community, to reduce youth idleness and restiveness.
- The neighborhood that is known to be notorious for the use of illicit drugs should be avoided altogether.
- Avoid riots and demonstration scenes in order to avoid stray bullets, these would help in preventing gunshots and stab wound.
- Unless absolutely necessary avoid staying late into the night.
- Stop drug and alcohol abuse.
- Both the government and non-government organizations should invest in the mental health and the general well being of its populace.
- Avoid walking in the mountains, woods and the countryside alone, go in groups or in the company of friends and family.
- Never urge, with a law enforcement agent, obey the instructions first, others will follow.