Electric shock

What Do You Do When There Is an Electric Shock? Immediate Steps to Take.

What Do You Do When There Is an Electric Shock?  

There are times you may need to carry out minor electrical repairs at home, these may accidentally lead to an electric shock.


Adults and children may accidentally touch or step on naked wires due to carelessness on the part of the parents or guardian.


It may be on the job as an electrician, it may just be a case of an electrical fault at home or due to lightning strikes which is a natural form of electric shock that could be fatal.


Many reasons could lead to an electric shock. An electric shock occurs when the body becomes a pathway for an electric current.


The shock may injure the nervous system and burn the skin and deeper tissues. If powerful enough, the electric current may stop the heart, or bring about a serious type of irregular rhythm, called ventricular fibrillation.


Even low-voltage household currents can be dangerous, particularly when the skin is moist. The longer the contact with the current the greater the danger.


Electric shock


Recommended for you:

Poisoning: How to Protect Yourself and Your Children from it.

How to Prevent Wound Infection in Your Farm and Work Place

Gunshots and Stab Wound, Helpful Tips on How to Manage and Prevent It.



Prevention is always the best antidote to an electric shock.
  • Never deceive yourself into believing that you are a professional, without wearing and using protective clothing’s, hand gloves, electrical tools, and insulators when working with electricity
  • Before attempting even minor repairs on switches or bare wires, turn off the current, better still, turn off the main switch.
  • Make sure that all power tools are grounded or double insulated. This means there is an extra barrier between you and the electricity.
  • Always seek professional help always when you have an electrical fault.
  • Occasionally carry out maintenance routine by inspecting electric cords that has worn out, cracks, tearing repair and replace it.
  • Avoid overloading electrical circuits, by plugging too many things into the same outlet
  • Insert plastic safety caps in all unused electrical outlets if small children are in the home.
  • Keep extension cords out of the reach of children in order to avoid electric shock.
  • Water and moisture don’t go with electricity, do not plug anything into an electrical outlet while you are wet or if the appliance is on a wet surface.
  • Keep electric appliances, outlets, and light bulbs away from flammable liquids or products that produce vapors.
  • Educate your children about the dangers of electricity and electric shock.
  • Ensure that you use danger signs (cautions post) on your property where appropriate i.e where you have electrical installations, power lines above and beneath the ground.
  • There should be barricades or fences around electrical equipment and installations i.e transformers.
  • Ensure that children do not play or climb near electric lines on a power pole or where the lines enter the house.
  • Children should not be left alone to play around at home or close to electrical appliances and installations.
  • In order to avoid electric shock, be mindful of electric power lines when you are trimming trees, roofing, or using gardening tools.


Danger sign of an electric shock


What to Do In Case Of An Electric Shock

  • In attempting to rescue an electrocuted person be mindful of your environment first. Be careful not to have contact with any live wire.
  • If someone has contacted a live electric wire at home or out on the road, do not touch him with your bare hands.
  • Use an insulating material, a strong plastic, a dry, dead stick, a dry rope, or clothing to remove the live wire from the victim.
  • Be sure whatever you use is dry, otherwise, you may be electrocuted in trying to save the victim’s life.


Recommended for you:

5 Tips to Help You Stay Healthy and Enjoy Your Old Age

10 Reasons Why You Need To Educate Your Girl Child

Family: 5 Secret that will help you Create a Peaceful and a Happy Home


Electric Shock and How to Apply First Aid

Seek for medical help right away, but before the medics arrive the way and manner you apply the first aid to the victims is crucial to his/her survival and your well-being as well.


  • Once the contact with the electrical circuit has been broken, begin artificial respiration at once. Meanwhile, have someone call a physician.
  • Begin CPR if the person shows no signs of life or circulation, such as breathing, coughing, or movement.
  • If the heart has stopped, press sharply over the middle of the chest, pushing vigorously about 100 times a minute. This closed-cardiac massage may start the heart going again. Continue until the pulse is regular and strong.
  • Apply a bandage. Use a sterile gauze bandage to cover any burned area if available, if not, you can use a clean cloth. Don’t use a blanket or towel, or any loose fibers to avoid it sticking to the burns.

Leave a Reply

Pin It on Pinterest